Expel Annual Threat Report 2024

Using Expel’s security operations center (SOC) data to uncover cybersecurity insights, recommendations, and predictions

Annual Threat Report 2024 - cover

What you’ll find inside–and why it matters

Our SOC worked nonstop in 2023, and they have a lot of great data to show for it.

Our report transforms that hard work into trends and patterns we saw, how to detect and protect yourself from the same threats, and what to watch for in 2024.

But we don’t stop there. We’ve also included rich, technical, and actionable information for security operators and decision makers.

Here’s a sneak peek of some of the top takeaways:

  • Identity threats are up 144% since 2022, dominating alerts and investigations for the third year in a row
  • A staggering 96% of cloud infrastructure incidents targeted AWS, while the remaining 4% was split evenly between GCP and Azure
  • More than half of all malware deployed posed an immediate and significant risk
  • The hospitality industry was the target of 55% of all phishing attacks last year, followed by travel, technology, and financial services

Get your copy

Year over year, we see attackers targeting cloud infrastructure, as cloud incidents increased by 12% in 2023. Remember that monitoring your cloud is like planting a tree; the best time to start was five years ago. The second best time is right now.”

Want to know what you can expect in the full report?

Watch this brief webinar with Daniel Clayton, VP of Security Operations at Expel, and Aaron Walton, Threat Intelligence Analyst at Expel and the report’s main author, as they discuss four of the biggest threats from this year’s report.

Then download the full report for more details what they shared, including best practices for protecting your organization against these looming threats.